SID GUTS – ALM003
Out of stock
Last remaining original Sid Guts module – rare stock!
The MOS Technology 6581/8580 ‘Sound Interface Device’ chip, aka the ‘SID’, was the sound generator chip used in the Commodore 64 home computer – the greatest selling home computer of all time. The SID, by the means of 3 wavetable oscillators, a real analogue multi mode filter, an ADSR and various cross modulation options, provided the soundtrack to a generations gaming and perhaps many peoples first exposure to real sound synthesis. The SID’s unique musical aesthetic has lasted well beyond the lifetime of the C64 re-imagined in standalone products such as the SID Station and with in the computer via sophisticated software emulation.
The SID GUTS now takes the legendary SID chip and tailors it into the eurorack modular environment. By use of a real SID chip the classic sound is taken in a new direction with the levels of direct and voltage control only a modular system can offer.
The SID GUTS provides a single ‘SID Voice’ to your modular. The charm and authenticity of the original sound is preserved with no attempt to ‘clean’ or reduce noise in the SID audio output.
The SID GUTS supports to following SID chip features via modular control;
- 1volt per octave control of a ‘core’ SID oscillator 0-5v input (with tunable offset)
- Direct and voltage control of oscillator wave shape selection (Pulse, Triangle, Square, Saw).
- Filter switchable between 4 modes – 12dB/Octave HP , LP , BP & Notch (HP+LP).
- Direct and Voltage control (with offset) of Filter cutoff and Resonance.
- 1 volt per octave control of second SID ‘modulation’ oscillator.
- Direct and voltage control of modulation oscillator ‘type’; ring modulation, sync or none.
- Direct and voltage control of pulse wave pulse width.
- External audio input.
The SID GUTS does not support the following SID features;
- Remaining 3rd oscillator
Other features include;
- Support for ALL SID chips (6851/8580) & SwinSID chips.
- All settings non volatile.
- Audio output and input at modular levels.
- Designed and built in England.
Please note the SID GUTS does not include a SID chip!
Supply: +/-12V (Reverse voltage & protection)
Current Draw: ~50 -200ma (dependent on SID chip used)
Size: 12 HP
Depth: 30-40 mm (with heat sinks installed)
* POKE WITH VOLTAGE *